Respiratory Therapy Program Overview
The American Career College Respiratory Therapy (RT) program is designed to help you acquire the knowledge and training to evaluate, treat and care for patients with breathing or other cardiopulmonary disorders. Respiratory Therapists care for a variety of patients, both young and old, whose lungs are not fully developed or may be diseased.
The Respiratory Therapy Program at ACC offers a combination of classroom, laboratory and clinical studies that will allow you to develop a range of skills relevant to the roles and responsibilities of a Respiratory Therapist, which include the following tasks:
- Providing emergency care, interviewing patients, performing limited physical examinations and conducting diagnostic tests
- Determine requirements for treatment including type, duration, method and precautions necessary
- Executing effective plans and protocols to assist patients so they can breathe comfortably
- Operate devices such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems or aerosol generators
Through the respiratory therapy program, we aim to help you graduate with the confidence and qualifications you need to begin your career as a RT.* After successfully completing the RT program, you will be eligible to sit for the Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) and the Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) exams (written and clinical simulation), offered by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC). **
The focus is on your success!
Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the goals of the program are achieved and determine which program is effective. The Respiratory Therapy (Associate of Occupational Science) programs in Orange County and Ontario are programmatically accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).**
Programmatic outcomes data reported on the (COARC) website include the following data:
- 3-year time period being reported
- CRT credentialing success
- RRT credentialing success
- Job placement
- Overall graduate satisfaction
- Overall employer satisfaction
- On-time Graduation Rate
- Total number of program enrollees
- Total number of program graduates
- Maximum annual enrollment
* American Career College cannot guarantee employment.
** CoARC 1248 Harwood Road, Bedford, TX 76021-4244; Phone (817) 283-2835 / Fax (817) 510-1063 / www.coarc.com
The accredited Respiratory Therapy training program is available at the following campus: