Physical Therapist Assistant
Students must pass two (2) exams in order to become a Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant in California. Students must first pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) in order to take the California Law Examination (CLE).
Requirements by the Federation of the State Boards of Physical Therapy www.fsbpt.org
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Submit an online registration and pay the registration fee.
- Have a degree appropriate for the exam level from a CAPTE accredited institution, or
- Be within 90 days of graduation from a CAPTE accredited institution.; or
- Must have an education that is deemed substantially equivalent.
- Have only tested 3 times out of the last 4 test dates (Maximum attempts in any 12-month period per exam level is 3) .
- Have complied with any test security requests made by FSBPT staff.
- Have completed any sanctions related to a disciplinary action taken by FSBPT or a jurisdiction licensing authority.
- Be approved by the licensing authority (board) in the state or jurisdiction where they intend to be licensed.
Further information on the CLE, visit the Physical Therapy Board of California website, www.ptbc.ca.gov