One of the many advantages of attending American Career College is the use of our Career Services Department. Career Services is staffed by professionals, including Career Services Specialists, who spend their day connecting with and fostering relationships with numerous employers throughout Southern California. Our Career Services team assists you with career planning and advising, interview skills, résumé preparation, job leads, completing job applications, networking, professional attire workshops, time management advice, and more.*
Before you even graduate, our Career Services Department works with you on an individual level to make sure that you are well-prepared for the next big step – your life after graduation. Our Career Services Specialists use many tools to connect you with future employers, including LinkedIn. LinkedIn is a professional social networking site that can help link you to possible employers, help you expand your network through groups related to your profession, connect you with alumni and professors, and show possible employers how dedicated you truly are to your profession. Learning to set up and utilize professional online networks such as LinkedIn will also help you master professional skills that will last you your entire career.
If you want to get a head start and create your own LinkedIn, use the simple steps below. Your LinkedIn profile should showcase your skills, where you had your externship, professional clubs you joined, organizations you volunteered with, and any additional information that will allow you to stand out. This type of participation will show employers that you are still involved with learning new techniques in your field, and that you are maintaining a presence in a professional network.
How to create a LinkedIn profile:
- Go to https://www.linkedin.com/.
- Enter your first name, last name, and email address to join. If you don’t have a generic or professional email address, create a new one for using with LinkedIn. You want anyone who might contact you through LinkedIn to see your most professional self!
- You are then brought to your LinkedIn profile, where you can:
- Upload a picture (again, make sure it looks professional!).
- Edit your education and background.
- Add a detailed description of yourself and why you are passionate about your field. You can also describe the qualifications that would make you a good employee.
- Add your externship and relevant work experience to previous work experience.
- Add skills and expertise.
- Ask friends and instructors for recommendations.
- Designate ways that you would like to be contacted.
After completing these steps, you can join groups such as professional groups, health care news groups, and American Career College’s Group. You can also search for groups that are relevant to your profession and join them. You can network with your friends and instructors on LinkedIn, as well, and ask them for recommendations.
If you have any questions about LinkedIn, feel free to comment below. Remember, if you need any help setting up your LinkedIn or with anything career related, our Career Services team is here to help!
*ACC cannot guarantee employment